Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pesach and Seders

Pesach is one of the 3 pilgrimage festivals, also known as Shalosh R’galim and in English is known as Passover. This holiday commemorates the Exodus of Egypt. It’s also known as the beginning of the harvest season. A Pesach Seder is written in a book called the Haggadah. Pesach begins on the 15th day of the month of Nissan. Pesach comes from the Hebrew root word Peh-Samach-Chet which means to pass through or over in order to exempt to spare. G-d passed over the Jews homes when he was slaying the first born of Egypt.

Words to Identify With:

Seder – The first night of Pesach there is a special family meal (friends are often invited). The meal is called a Seder which comes from the root word meaning “order” because there is a specific order that is discussed around the table.

Seder Plate – A Seder plate has 6 circles or sections for the different herbs and foods;

  • Maror; bitter herbs – most often used is horseradish. This symbolizes the bitterness of slavery.
  • Z’roa; Charoset; Chazeret; Karpass; vegetable (most often used is parsley – this is usually dipped in salt water before eating). This vegetable symbolizes the origins of the Jews.
  • The salt water symbolizes the tears shed about the Jews slavery.
  • Some people place an orange on the Seder plate. It is placed on the Seder plate to represent a conversation that took place at the Jewish Theological Seminary where someone many years ago asked if women would ever be admitted into the college to become rabbis and someone said that would be like an orange on a Seder plate. There is a little more to this story but this is the foundation of the story. And YES Reform, Conservative and Reconstuctionist Jews allow women to be rabbis!!!


Haggadah – The book that is read from during the Seder


The Four Questions – Also known as Mah Nishtanah (Why is it different?) are the first words to the 4 questions.


“The maggid is designed to satisfy the needs of 4 different types of people:

  1. The wise one, who wants to know the technical details
  2. The wicked one, who excludes himself (and he learns the penalty for doing so)
  3. The simple one, who needs to know the basics
  4. The one who is unable to ask, who doesn’t even know enough to know what he needs to know.”

A blessing is recited over a second cup of wine at the end of the maggid and then drunk.


My first Seder I attended was interesting yet awkward. I knew about the food and story of the Jews freedom from slavery out of Egypt. Interesting yet awkward at the same time listening and talking with others on how they felt enslaved. Thinking about how I feel enslaved in everyday life made me think later on as I went home that my idea of being enslaved is nothing compared to what Moses went through as well as the Jews who fled Egypt and slavery. We all have/had pain and suffering in our lives.

I have since been to several Seders and I have yet to feel completely comfortable. I don't know if part of it is because I don't have those family traditions of growing up Jewish that others have and I'm just starting to make my own. I know I don't like to see people stressed out over preparing for hosting Seders and I have seen that over the years. Sometimes we just have to let things happen and go with the flow. I'm also still not comfortable with the reading of the Haggadah as everyone uses something different whether it is purchased, from the Internet or they write their own. But I'm still attending Seders and I do find something I enjoy about each one I attend.

Maybe I’ll have a doggie Seder – yeah seriously – animals are G-d’s creatures too!

Well this statement alone was enough to send the rabbi I converted with into a frenzy even to the point of not wanting me to mention this to other rabbis because she felt they would not approve. First off she wasn't an animal person (hmmm... I love animals, especially my dogs). We never did come to an agreement on this topic and it was an obstacle to overcome because our views are very different. I have since learned having mentioned this to a few rabbis since my conversion this is not true. I have found other rabbis who are fine with my feelings towards dogs.

But as far as a doggie Seder my beliefs are:

All animals are G-d’s creatures. I’m sure animals of all kinds were on the journey out of Egypt. I have heard of one company who has dog food for dogs specifically for Pesach. If you think about it humans aren’t supposed to have chametz during Pesach so why should dogs and most dog foods (at least what I feed my dogs) does. So why not try to include them. My dogs like matzoh balls and really love the soup base. I love and adore animals and treat them as family so for me it would be natural to include them. After all my dogs have a Hebrew name as either their first or middle name. Maybe this is something only animal lovers can understand but my dogs are a very important part of my life – after all they get Chanukah presents. We should celebrate all life whether human or animals all the time but especially Pesach and the High Holy Days.

I am part of a list serv where I can talk about these topics. I really enjoy this forum as it gives me a safe place that I feel comfortable sharing my thoughts and concerns. I have found much support for things I struggled with while going through my conversion as well as things I face now after having formally converted. I recently posted my thoughts on Seders and brought up this Doggie Seder and someone responded with one of the best responses I have ever received. She suggested I could write an animal-centered one, and include some of the history of animal rights in Judaism. And the comment that really got my attention was her suggestion of using a Milk-Bone as the shank bone. And you know, I think I'll take her up on her suggestion and give it a try.

1 comment:

  1. A doggy Seder does sound very nice Ang! and I love what the woman said about the milk bone substitute!
    There is alot of symbolism in Judaism I am now discovering. The salt water is very poignant! I hope that one day you and your Rabbi can see eye to eye on the subject of the Doggies : )

    ReplyDelete