Saturday, January 3, 2009

Israel

This is definitely a hot topic right now with the fighting going on over in Gaza. As I have watched the news this past week and attending shul (synagogue) today I have had a lot of thoughts and questions go through my mind.

One question I was asked was how can I develop a relationship with Israel and its people? I responded with:

  • Continue to study the events that have and are taking place.
  • I do try to watch or read Israeli news online and when I can try to find it translated into English. I can read Hebrew better than I can speak it and can pick up on some words but Israeli's are known for talking very fast. But that is work in progress as I continue to take my Hebrew classes.
  • I still have the ID tags for the 3 soldiers that were captured in the war the summer of 2006 and they hang on my refrigerator. Two of the bodies have been returned and the fate of the third one is yet to be confirmed. The hope is he is still alive.
  • To continue to pray for peace in Israel and all who live there.

As I sat in services this morning I became more aware of how important it is that we pray as a community for peace here in the U.S. as well as in Israel and other countries. Someone asked me if when I was in the Christian church if we ever prayed for other countries. Sadly, in all the ones I attended we did not. Occasionally, we said the Pledge of Allegiance and if there was something going on such as a war it might be mentioned at prayer time. I don't know if that's the way it is in all churches but it was with the ones I attended.

We say a prayer for our country and remember any POW's or MIA's every week and the names are mentioned. Currently there is 1 missing soldier from the U.S. but I never hear anything about him. But he is mentioned every week at my shul. And it doesn't matter if they are Jewish or not - we just want them returned safely to their families. We still mention the 1 missing soldier taken POW in Israel by name as we say the prayer for Israel.

I don't like war but I also believe we have to defend ourselves so I support Israel and know in my heart they are doing what they need to do for the state of Israel and all who live there and call it home.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the post....I hope you enjoy blogging!

    I find that I am of mixed emotions about it all....yes I want them to be able to denfend themselves, yet I don't see it all as black and white as my Rabbi and most of those around me seem to see it...

    I do see that there is much suffering and pain by all who live in that part of the world. and I pray that all find a way beyond dogma and hate and find peace in their own hearts....

    a tall order...yes....but I beieve one has to start somewhere...so I pray

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! You got me to thinking about doing this and reading your blog sparked my interest in doing so.

    I am debating if I'm going to a Community Solidarity Rally tomorrow. I've only been to 1 rally before. I expect protestors outside the shul though.

    I'm finding the rabbis around me are on the fence. They believe as I do that Israel should defend herself but at the same time are very saddened by the loss of life that is happening. That's another reason I'm thinking about going to the rally because there will be other rabbis there and I'm very interested in how they feel. Being in a Conservative shul I wonder how the Reform and Orthodox rabbis feel as well as other Conservative rabbis.

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete