Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Shabbat

I’m continuously learning each Shabbat. On Friday evenings when I am home I light Shabbat candles and recite the Sh'ma. I don't normally attend the Kabbalat Shabbat service on Fridays except on occasion. This service tends to last anywhere from 45 - 60 minutes. The times I've gone I have found it to be mostly about prayer and I'm not sure if there is always a sermon delivered (however if there is it is very short).

On Saturday I try to make the Torah service so I can study each week’s parsha. I enjoy the Saturday service more because there is more time to be reflective and think about the message. It's also very spiritual to see the Torah brought around and be read from.

I’ve enjoyed the Shabbat dinners I have been to as well. Everyone has their own way of having their meals. Some are more formal than others as well as some are more concentrated on prayer than others. But the one thing they have all had in common is spending time with others.

Keeping things spiritual is the most important thing to me and reconnecting with G-d when it comes to Shabbat.

No comments:

Post a Comment